Here is a quick update for some fun Hillsboro happenings for this next week!
Sunday May 7th:
Support our local farmers/vendors tomorrow in Orenco at the weekly Farmer’s Market located in the parking lot by the New Seasons and First American Title Company. Not only will you find beautiful flowers and gorgeous produce, but you can shop from vendors such as Decadent Creations, Great Harvest Bread Company, and Olympic Provisions. There will be a variety of food carts, and live music. This Sunday’s live music will be performed by Dan Abrahamson. The market runs from 10AM to 2PM.
Collector’s West Gun and Knife Show
The Collectors West Gun and Knife Show takes place May 6-7, 2017 in the Main Exhibit Hall-North at the Washington County Fairgrounds. It’s underway Sunday from 10 AM to 3 PM. Admission is $7.00 per person.
Oregon Guitar and Musical Instrument Expo
The Oregon Guitar and Musical Instrument Expo comes to the Main Exhibit Hall-South at the Washington County Fairgrounds on Sunday, May 7, from 10 AM to 4 PM.
This guitar show will feature over 8,000 square feet of vendors selling new and used, vintage and collectible acoustic and electric guitars, basses, amplifiers, keyboards, drums, and more! Come to buy, sell, or trade all instruments: Vintage, used, and new guitars, amps, pedals, drums, keyboards, mandolins, banjos, ukuleles, harmonicas, P.A.’s, and accessories.
You are welcome to bring your personal instruments with your paid admission to sell to dealers, and other show-goers!
Doors to the public open at 10 AM with a $10 admission charge.
Accepting CASH at the door ONLY.
Children ages 10 & under are admitted free with a paying adult.
For more information or to reserve a space, contact John Keaton at firstname.lastname@example.org
All Day-Friends Book Sale
|10:00 AM-Sewing certification session|
|10:40 AM-3D printing certification session|
|11:20 AM-Die cutting certification session|
|12:00 PM-Open lab|
|1:30 PM-Family Storytime|
|3:00 PM-Everyday English Conversation Group|
|4:00 PM-Bilingual Family Storytime / Cuentos Bilingües
Monday May 8th:
Tuesday May 9th:
|9:00 AM-Summer Reading Program Training|
|10:00 AM-Fabric & fibers meet-up|
|10:15 AM-Fun for Ones|
|10:15 AM-Toddler Time|
|11:15 AM-Book Babies|
|11:15 AM-Toddler Time|
|12:00 PM-Open lab|
|5:30 PM-Homework Help/ Ayuda con Tareas|
|6:30 PM-Cuentos en español|
|6:30 PM-Family Storytime|
School District Happenings
South Hillsboro Parks Master Plan Open House
Check out the updated park concepts on May 10 at the next open house. The meeting will be at Rosedale Elementary School in the Cafeteria at 6 pm. There will be a short presentation followed by time to look at the exhibits and provide feedback.
Visit here for more information: https://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/our-city/departments/parks-recreation/planning-and-development/south-hillsboro-parks
|Every 2nd Tuesday of the month, readers and listeners of poetry are welcome to enjoy works by established or yet-to-be- discovered talent. Will be held at 7PM at the Walters Cultural Arts Center on East Main Street.|
Wednesday May 10th
Hillsboro School District
Click to view information for the Finance and Budget Meetings, Open studio at Walters, the Planning Commission, and the Landlord Forum.
Thursday May 11th
Hillsboro School District
Bring your family and create something truly special with clay, paint, collage & more! Fun for all ages, everybody is welcome at Family Art Night! Join Walter’s instructor Alice Hill and work on engaging, hands-on art projects individually or team up as a family. Each Thursday offers a different project and material to work with. All supplies included.
Note: This is a facilitated art activity. Youth under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Parents are encouraged to assist young children.
Family Art Night takes place every Thursday evening from 6:30 – 8:30 pm and is a drop-in program at the Walters. The cost is $5.00 per person. Children under the age of 3 are free.
No pre-registration, but there is a maximum of 20 participants. The number of participants may be reduced at our discretion due to changes in volunteer staff support.
Hillsboro School District
Saturday, May 13, 2017, 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Downtown Hillsboro
in conjunction with the Downtown Hillsboro Farmers’ Market
Here’s what you can look forward to:
- STE(A)M Pavilion. Science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics activities will be showcased—from our after-school STEM programming and work taking place in our STEM Focus Schools, to our partnerships with the Right Brain Initiative. Meet our special guest—the Artosaur!
- College and Career Pathways Area. Students and teachers will talk about their programs and showcase student projects in each of the six college and career pathways. Learn what it takes to successfully move through your chosen path. Our Teen Marketplace entrepreneurs will also have booths for their businesses.
- Athletics/Activities Area. There will be fun athletic events and activities throughout the day, including the popular mascot showdown at 12:30 p.m.! Watch our school mascots challenge special guests Barley, from the Hillsboro Hops, Victor E. Viking, from Portland State University, and Benny the Beaver, from Oregon State University. And, we’ll have a special guest appearance from McGruff the Crime Dog, from the Washington County Sheriff’s office.
- Art Walk – variety of downtown businesses. Student art will be displayed in several locations for our festival visitors’ viewing pleasure as they stroll the downtown area. Participate in the scavenger hunt for prizes donated by local businesses!
- Chess Challenge. Are you better than an elementary student? Members of Brookwood Elementary’s chess team will challenge all comers to test their skills against theirs. Novices to experts are welcome to join the fun.
- Student Performances. We’ve lined up poetry recitation, singers, dancers and instrumentals to show off their talents in two performance areas.
- School Pride Banners – throughout the festival area. Each school has created their own banners representing what makes them proud – we truly have talented artists in the District!
- Community Partner Booths – throughout the festival area. Find out about the services our partners provide.
Festival program coming soon.
8AM-1:30 PM located on Main Street between 1st and 3rd Avenue Come shop local vendors that provide arts and crafts, produce, floral. An abundance of food carts will be by the plaza, and the Proud to be HSD festival will begin at 8AM. There will be no live music this Saturday, but there will be a Mother’s Day give away at 9AM! Visit the information booth to sign your kids up for events that will earn them stickers. Gather enough stickers over the weeks and you earn tokens to spend at the market!
There are so many events happening this week! What local events have you heard of that aren’t on the list? What type of events are you most interested in hearing about?